The never-ending chronicle of my new Saltwater Aquarium

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

So, the reason I haven't been posting in a while is because I had exceeded my bandwidth on the site where I host the pictures for this blog. So, unfortunately, I'm forced to put less pictures in my updates. I may be able to link to other pages with those pictures on it, though. I could also email higher quality photos to people who request them. Just send an email to CFI_Keeler@hotmail.com. As a treat, though, I'm going to be able to include some links to videos every now and then. So, I think some people will be happy with that :).

A lot has happened since I last posted an update on this site. I've added all the rock (30 lbs Lalo Live Rock and 30 lbs Hawaiian Base Rock), 60 lbs of sand, 3 shrimp (1 died), 35 snails, 24 hermit crabs (a couple died), 2 clown fish, and 6 blue-green chromis (1 died and 1 disappeared). Below is summary of all that has happened...

Adding the rock and sand was pretty uneventful. I set up the rock how I liked it and let the small rubble settle for a couple days before adding the sand. The rocks were arranged so that little caves and crevices formed so the tank would look more natural and the fish would be happy having places to hide. I also knew that the shrimp I was eventually going to get loved hanging upside down from the caves formed in natural reefs. The sand scared me initially because the whole tank turned white as soon as I added it. The particles are so small that they just floated around the tank taking forever to settle. I was much relieved once everything cleared up.

Next was the waiting game. It took about 3 - 4 weeks before all the garbage on the live rocks died off and the tank grew enough "good" bacteria to allow my ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite to dwindle down to zero. It was a that point that I purchased 2 shrimp and about 25 snails. The shrimp were pretty cool because they were nice and colorful, while the snails helped clean everything. Unfortunately the second day that I had life in my tank something died...one of the shrimp. I think he may have been stressed out from being shipping through the mail to my house. He didn't seem to lively when he arrived, so he was destined to die. The shrimp will actually molt every now and then, leaving a ghostly version of themselves behind. It was ironic that the lone shrimp molted the day after the other shrimp had died because it was almost like a ghost shrimp was haunting my tank. Because of this I named the dead shrimp "Marley" from A Christmas Carol. Luckily the company I bought everything from has a replacement policy, so I got a new one and they have been happy ever since. I named them "Jack" and "Jill"; One after Jack Sparrow and the other just to be a counterpart to Jack.

After a couple weeks of having just shrimp and snails I decided it was time to get some actual fish. I had my heart set on getting clownfish even before Finding Nemo was on the drawing boards at Disney. I have always been attracted to their orange hues and playful nature. So I ordered 2 tank bred Ocellaris Clownfish. These are your typical "Nemo" variety with orange bodies and white stripes. Since Clownfish are native to the Indian Ocean and in the reefs outside of Australia I gave them the Aussie names of "Bruce" and "Sheila". When I first got them they were so tiny that the current in the water blew them all over the place. They have grown pretty quickly, though, since I first got them and have got accustomed to the currents in the tank. They have even deepened their color to the point where they are more of a pumpkin orange as opposed to the yellow-orange that they were when I first received them. They continue to swim with one another throughout the tank all day long.

Lastly, I purchased 6 Blue-Green Chromis and about 24 hermit crabs this past Tuesday. The Chromis are cool because they are a schooling fish. They stick together in the tank and swim in packs. Their color also varies from silver to blue to green to purple depending on what sort of lighting they are in. I believe that gives them a good contrast against the orange clownfish and red shrimp. They don't have names yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually come up with something for them. I just need some inspiration. If you have any suggestions, just let me know. Unfortunately, when I first received the fish in the mail, one arrived dead. After being in the tank for 2 days a second fish just disappeared. Some say he could have been eaten, but he was also the biggest out of all the fish in my tank, so I doubt that happened. Maybe one day he'll show up again...

The hermit crabs were purchased because the algae in the tank was getting out of control. Snails were very good at cleaning the glass and most of the rocks, but the sand and some of the out-of-the-way areas of the tank were growing algae like crazy. With the 24 hermit crabs in the tank that stuff should be gone in a matter of weeks. Nature is very slow in the way it works, except when it comes to growing the algae in the first place ;).

Well, this kinda brings you guys all up to speed on what has happened since I last updated. I really hope to get some pictures an movies up soon. As soon as I have something I'll post another update with links to that site. Until then...

~Paul Out



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.photobucket.com

It has NEVER failed me yet! use it for Live Journal and stuff!

- Ken

8:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home